Press Releases


Survivor Information:

Inspectors from the Federal Emergency Management Agency are currently contacting disaster applicants in Kentucky counties whose primary home sustained damage from the recent devastating tornadoes and storms.

Federal assistance to individuals and households may include grants to help pay for rental housing, essential home repairs and other disaster-related expenses.

Inspectors are private contractors who wear official FEMA identification badges. Authorized inspectors will only confirm personal detailed information that has been provided previously during the registration process. They will usually not approach an applicant without prior contact.

The U.S. Small Business Administration and various insurance companies also have inspectors in the field.

Here Is What To Expect:

Inspector’s Call: After you register – either online at or by calling

800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) – a nine-digit application number is assigned. An inspector will call to schedule an appointment to visit your damaged property – generally no longer than 10 days after registration.

Inspector’s Visit: Keep the scheduled appointment to make sure the assistance process moves quickly. Inspectors will review both structural and personal property damage and file a report, but they do not determine eligibility or estimate or determine the value of damage or losses. The inspection typically takes 15 to 45 minutes.

You – or someone who is 18 or older and lived in the household prior to the disaster – must be present for the scheduled appointment.

The inspector will ask for identification and proof of ownership and occupancy (for homeowners) and occupancy only (for renters). You can speed up the process by having the appropriate documents on hand:

A photo ID to prove identity, such as driver’s license or passport.

Proof of occupancy, which may include any one of the following:

o   A lease, rent payment receipt, utility bill or other document confirming the home was the primary residence at the time of the disaster.

o   An employee pay stub and similar documents addressed to the applicant and showing the address of the damaged home.

o   Proof of ownership, which may include any one of the following:

o   Deed showing applicant as the legal owner.

o   Title that lists applicant on actual escrow or title document for the purchase of the home; mortgage payment book that names the applicant along with the address of the damaged home.

o   Property insurance policy for the damaged home with applicant’s name listed as the insured.

o   Tax receipts or a property tax bill that lists the address of the damaged home and the applicant as the responsible party to the assessments.

Property owners who need to replace a document to prove property ownership should visit their local tax office Property Valuation Administrator. Proof of ownership may avoid long delays in receiving eligible FEMA funds.

After the Inspector’s Visit: You will receive a joint letter from FEMA and the commonwealth containing a decision within 10 days of the inspector’s visit. You may receive a low-interest disaster loan application in the packet from the U.S. Small Business Administration. You do not have to accept a loan. However, completing an SBA application opens the door to other possible forms of assistance.

If you have any questions about what you receive, you can call the helpline number – 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585).

If you are eligible for assistance, the letter will be followed by a check or an electronic funds transfer. The letter explains how the money can be used.

You can get answers to questions about the progress of your application by:

·         Going online at (anytime).

·         Calling 800-621-FEMA (3362), TTY 800-462-7585 (These toll-free telephone numbers are staffed daily 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., until further notice.) Help is available in many languages.

·         Using a smartphone or Web-enabled device to visit

·         Speaking with someone face to face at a disaster recovery center in your area.

 Kentucky Emergency Management encourages survivors to document storm damage to their property with photographs or videos, if possible, and to maintain a list of any repairs and keep repair receipts. Damage should be reported to their county emergency manager. However, survivors must still register with FEMA to be considered for federal disaster assistance.

More disaster specific information can be found on the KYEM website at

Volunteer Information:

 Those who would like to volunteer in this process can lend a hand at any of the Disaster Relief Centers below:

 Johnson County:

O.S.C.A.R . Center                           Contact: Brenda Cockerham                       606-793-0295

Paintsville Church of Christ                Contact: Mark McKenzie                            606-789-6219

Red Bush Fire Dept                           Contact: Chief Buell Webb                         606-265-3269

Laurel County:

East Bernstadt                                  Contact: Judy Mickelson                               606-260-1380

Martin County:

Martin Co Court House                  Contact: Christy Brown                                  606-298-2088 or 606-626-5381


Magoffin County:

Old Shop Rite Parking Lot             Contact: Jaynee May, Mary Rowe                  606-477-5635


Morgan County:

East Valley Elementary                  Contact: Sharon Tharp                                   606-743-2887

Assembly of Faith                         Contact: Jason Venson                                 571-439-1889


Menifee County:

Menifee Community Center            Contact: Lola Thomas                                859-229-6782

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards. Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362).  If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan.  However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.