Rogers Visits Big Sandy and Cumberland Valley Areas Oct. 29-Nov. 1
SOMERSET, KY - U.S. Congressman Hal Rogers (KY-05) invites the public to join him at several events across southern and eastern Kentucky next week as he meets with community members in the Big Sandy and Cumberland Valley regions.
Monday, October 29, 2012:
- 1:00 p.m.: Congressman Rogers joins Operation UNITE in Johnson County for a drug-free education rally with Remix Education and Americorps at Highland Elementary School, located at 649 U.S. Hwy. 23 in Staffordsville, KY.
- 6:00 p.m.: Operation UNITE is hosting a Bluegrass Policy Forum on Substance Abuse, moderated by K.E.T.'s Renee Shaw, in the Stumbo-Wilkinson Convention Center at Jenny Wiley State Resort Park. Panelists include U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers, Governor Steve Beshear, Kentucky Senator Majority Floor Leader Robert Stivers, Kentucky Senator Brandon Smith, Kentucky House Speaker Greg Stumbo, and Kentucky House Majority Floor Leader Rocky Adkins. The state resort park is located at 75 Theatre Street in Prestonsburg, KY.
- 10:30 a.m.: Rogers will join the Jenny Wiley Drama Association and the Pikeville City Commission to break ground on a new indoor theatre in downtown Pikeville, intersecting Hambley Boulevard, Division Street and 2nd Street. The outdoor amphlitheatre will continue operations in the Jenny Wiley State Resort Park, while the new indoor theatre will offer threatre productions year-round.
- 12:00 p.m.: Rogers will present a Legislative Update at a Martin County Community Luncheon at Miss Ida's Tea Room, located at 1432 Main Street in Inez, KY.
- 3:00 p.m.: Rogers will meet with underground coal miners at the Booth Energy Matrix Mine in Martin County.
Wednesday, October 31, 2012:
- 10:30 a.m.: Rogers joins Operation UNITE to present a Med Return Box to the Somerset Police Department's Satellite Office at the Somerset Mall, located at 4150 S. Hwy. 27 in Somerset, KY. Individuals with unwanted or out-of-date prescriptions can dispose of those medications in a safe location where they will remain under lock-and-key until they will be destroyed by the UNITE "Pill Dragon."
- 2:00 p.m.: Kentucky Farm Bureau will present Congressman Rogers with a "Friend of Farm Bureau" award. The presentation will take place at Haney's Appledale Farm located at 8350 West Highway 80 in Nancy, KY.
Thursday, November 1, 2012:
- 11:00 a.m.: Rogers will tour the Middlesboro Coca-Cola Bottling Company located at 1324 Cumberland Avenue in Middlesboro, KY.
- 12:30 p.m.: Rogers will present a Legislative Update at the Pine Mountain State Resort Lodge in the Ray Harm Room, located at 1050 State Park Road in Pineville, KY. 2:00 p.m.: Rogers will visit the Southeast Community and Technical College Harlan Campus to meet with students who are participating in the Accelerated Opportunities Program. The Harlan Campus is located at 164 Ball Park Road in Harlan, KY.
- 3:00 p.m.: Rogers with join Kentucky National Guard Maj. Gen. Edward Tonini for a tour of the Appalachian ChalleNGe Academy located at 465 Grays Drive in Grays Knob, KY.